Winter Storm Warning - Be Prepared!
We feel that it is very important to share with you, our local businesses and property owners, when we receive weather forecasts that could present problems in San Anselmo. We were pleased to see that many businesses were proactive by installing their flood gate systems during the significant storms in December & January. We understand that is is not a simple task, and that obtaining sand bags is not simple either. Both measures, however, could help protect your investment whether it's a business or a building.
Another storm front is headed to the Bay Area that in what the National Weather Service is calling an "atmospheric river" event with substantial rainfall beginning Monday evening through Tuesday. This storm is also expected to bring high wind gusts and may be capable of producing 2-4" of precipitation in our area.
National Weather Service has issued the following advisories:
- Flood Watch in effect from 11:00PM Monday through 5:00AM Wednesday.
- High Wind Watch in effect from 11:00PM Monday through 5:00AM Wednesday.
What could this mean for Marin businesses and residents?
- Localized flooding will occur in low-lying areas or where storm drains or drainage systems are temporarily blocked by debris.
- Flooded roadways especially in low-lying or flood prone areas.
- Slick roadways.
- Slides (mud / debris) in areas with steep hillsides.
- High stream/creek levels, possibly reaching flood stage in some areas of the County.
- Strong gusty winds could blow around unsecured objects and blow down tree limbs.
- Power outages may result from strong winds and rain.
Prepare your Business - Just in Case
It It is advised that all businesses in low-lying areas, particularly on San Anselmo Avenue, locate, inspect and have ready any flood gate system available for your facility. Business owners and employees are similarly advised to monitor the weather forecast and have all materials and supplies to help protect from water intrusion ready to go.
Sand and bags are available throughout the winter at the Memorial Park tennis court parking lot on Sunny Hills Drive. Bring your own shovel to fill the bags. Click HERE for more information.
Flood Debris Reduction:
Remove planters or other decorations or furnishing from the front of your businesses. These can become problematic in the case of a flood.
Town Flood Horn
The Town has a flood horn located in the Town Hall tower. The horn is audible from areas subject to flooding. The horn is sounded when flooding is imminent. Town staff will sound the horn with 5 blasts, a pause, 5 blasts, a pause and 5 blasts. If you hear the flood horn, do not go to flood prone areas. Seek higher ground.
Please visit this page on the Town WEBSITE for additional information related to flooding and flood protection.